Saturday 8 July 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Quarter To Three by Gary U.S. Bonds.
In UK Runaway by Del Shannon was in the top 5 hits.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, directed by Irwin Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 July 1961!
Which were the important events of 8 July 1961 ?
- Annual Soapy Smith wake, held each year in Skagway, Alaska in the Gold Rush Cemetery and in Hollywood, California at the Magic Castle
- Feast day of Saint Kilian
- Feast day of Saint Grimbald
- Graham Jones: Rock guitarist (Haircut 100).
- Toby Keith: American country music singer-songwriter.
- Ces Drilon: Filipino journalist.
- Andrew Fletcher: English vocalist and synth and bass player (Depeche Mode).
- Karl Seglem: Norwegian saxophonist and record producer (Isglem).
- Fred Trueman takes 5-0 in 24 balls to rip through Aussies
- Portuguese steamer Save breaks up off Mozambique, 227 die
- A mine explosion in Czechoslovakia leaves 108 dead.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Dee Clark - Raindrops
- Adam Wade - The Writing On The Wall
- Pat Boone - Moody River
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart
- Little Caesar and the Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me Of You)
- Arthur Lyman Group - Yellow Bird
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?