It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK Runaway by Del Shannon was in the top 5 hits.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, directed by Irwin Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Wednesday, 12 July 1961 ?
- Sveti Petar (St. Peter)
- Sunset and sunrise occur along Manhattan's street grid centerline
- Newfoundland - Orangemen's Day
- Northern Ireland - Battle of the Boyne Day (also known as Orangemen's Day or the Twelfth, see Irish calendar).
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday (2nd day)
- The "center pivot irrigation day" of Colorado
- Kiribati - Independence Day
- RainMaker Day - Salem, OR.
- Spo TomT and Prfncipe - Independence Day
Famous People born
- Pune floods due to failure of the Khadakwasla and Panshet dams. Half of Pune is submerged, more than 100,000 families need to be relocated and the death tally exceeds 2,000.
- A Czechoslovakian Ilyushin Il-18 crashes while attempting to land at Casablanca, Morocco, killing all 72 persons on board.
: Greene, New York -- Canoeist (1996 Olympics)
: German footballer
Famous People died
Mazo de la Roche
: Canadian author (Born 1879)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
What news were making the headlines those days in July 1961 ?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
The Agony and the Ecstasy
by Irving Stone
Celebrating the 500th anniversary of Michelangelo’s David, New American Library releases a special edition of Irving Stone’s classic biographical novel—in which both the artist and the man are brought to life [...]
Franny and Zooey
by J.D. Salinger
The author writes: FRANNY came out in The New Yorker in 1955, and was swiftly followed, in 1957 by ZOOEY. Both stories are early, critical entries in a narrative series I'm [...]
To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee
The unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it, To Kill A Mockingbird became both an instant bestseller and a critical [...]
by Leon Uris
It was a time of crisis, a time of tragedy--and a time of transcendent courage and determination. Leon Uris's blazing novel is set in the midst of the ghetto uprising that defied [...]
Tell the world why Wednesday, 12 July 1961 is such a special date for you!