It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK Runaway by Del Shannon was in the top 5 hits.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, directed by Irwin Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of Wednesday, 12 July 1961 ?
- Sveti Petar (St. Peter)
- Sunset and sunrise occur along Manhattan's street grid centerline
- Newfoundland - Orangemen's Day
- Northern Ireland - Battle of the Boyne Day (also known as Orangemen's Day or the Twelfth, see Irish calendar).
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday (2nd day)
- The "center pivot irrigation day" of Colorado
- Kiribati - Independence Day
- RainMaker Day - Salem, OR.
- Spo TomT and Prfncipe - Independence Day
Famous People born
- Pune floods due to failure of the Khadakwasla and Panshet dams. Half of Pune is submerged, more than 100,000 families need to be relocated and the death tally exceeds 2,000.
: Greene, New York -- Canoeist (1996 Olympics)
: German footballer
Famous People died
Mazo de la Roche
: Canadian author (Born 1879)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
Playboy Magazine cover
Sports Illustrated: no.7725
Esquire Magazine cover
The Agony and the Ecstasy - Irving Stone
Franny and Zooey - J.D. Salinger
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Mila 18 - Leon Uris
Chrysler 300g 300-G Car Photo Mt Road Vintage (1961)
Chanel No 5 Perfume Powder Cologne (1961)
Tell the world why Wednesday, 12 July 1961 is such a special date for you!