It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Tossin' and Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK Runaway by Del Shannon was in the top 5 hits.
Breakfast at Tiffany's, directed by Blake Edwards, was one of the most successful movies released in 1961
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in July 1961 ?
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
directed by Blake Edwards
starring: Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Patricia Neal
- 101 Dalmatians
directed by Clyde Geronimi
starring: Rod Taylor, Betty Lou Gerson, J. Pat O'Malley
- West Side Story
directed by Jerome Robbins
starring: Natalie Wood, George Chakiris, Richard Beymer
directed by Akira Kurosawa
starring: Toshir Mifune, Eijir Tno, Tatsuya Nakadai
- The Hustler
directed by Robert Rossen
starring: Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie
Which were the important events of Wednesday, 12 July 1961 ?
Famous People born
- Sveti Petar (St. Peter)
- Sunset and sunrise occur along Manhattan's street grid centerline
- Newfoundland - Orangemen's Day
- Northern Ireland - Battle of the Boyne Day (also known as Orangemen's Day or the Twelfth, see Irish calendar).
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday (2nd day)
- The "center pivot irrigation day" of Colorado
- Kiribati - Independence Day
- RainMaker Day - Salem, OR.
- Spo TomT and Prfncipe - Independence Day
: Greene, New York -- Canoeist (1996 Olympics)
The Agony and the Ecstasy - Irving Stone
Franny and Zooey - J.D. Salinger
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Mila 18 - Leon Uris
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
Sports Illustrated: no.7725
Playboy Magazine cover
Esquire Magazine cover
Ford Falcon Mobilgas Economy Run Charlie Brown (1961)
Simca Costs Hundreds of Dollars Less (1961)
Tell the world why Wednesday, 12 July 1961 is such a special date for you!