Tuesday 11 July 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maryse Audouit and Antony Jenkins.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK Runaway by Del Shannon was in the top 5 hits.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, directed by Irwin Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kraft Mystery Theater.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1961!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1961 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Maryse Audouit: French homicide victim, sister of Ludovic, who killed her, her mom and dad, and her son Jerome, with an iron bar 12/20/1989.
- Antony Jenkins: English banker and businessman.
- 30th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 5-4 in 10 at Candlestick Park, San Francisco
- Gene Kiniski beats Verne Gagne in Minneapolis, to become NWA champ
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 11 July 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Dee Clark - Raindrops
- Adam Wade - The Writing On The Wall
- Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart
- Pat Boone - Moody River
- Arthur Lyman Group - Yellow Bird
- Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry
- Paul Anka - Dance On Little Girl
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?