Thursday 9 January 1958
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mehmet Ali Agca and David Thorburn.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to At The Hop by Danny & The Juniors.
In UK It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty was in the top 5 hits.
The Enemy Below, directed by Dick Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Shirley Temple's Storybook.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1958.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1958!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1958 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Mehmet Ali Agca: Turkish attempted assassin of Pope John Paul II.
- David Thorburn: David Thorburn is a senior Scottish-born banker; Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director, Clydesdale Bank and the Yorkshire Bank, subsidiaries of the National Australia Bank.
- Mehmet Ağca: Turkish murderer.
- Stephen Neale: English philosopher and academic.
- In basketball Oscar Robertson (Cin) scores 56, Seton Hall team 54
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Conway Twitty - It's Only Make Believe
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire
- Lord Rockingham's XI - Hoots Mon
- Ma He's Making Eyes At Me - Johnny Otis & His Orchestra With Marie Adams
- Lonnie Donegan - Tom Dooley
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- Tommy Dorsey Orchestra Starring Warren Covington - Tea For Two Cha Cha
- My Special Angel - Malcolm Vaughan
- Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game
- Frank Sinatra - All The Way / Chicago
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?