Thursday 16 August 1934
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Treasure Island, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1934.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1934!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1934 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Diana Jones: English author (d. 2011).
- Ketty Lester: American singer and actress.
- John Standing: London, England -- Actor (Edward-Lime Street).
- Dave Thomas: English-Welsh golfer and architect (d. 2013).
- Diana Wynne Jones: United Kingdom -- Sci-fi author (Drowned Ammet, Witch Week).
- Ed van Thijn: (Jewish) Dutch Foreign Minister / Mayor (Amsterdam, 1983-94)
- Ketty Lester [Revoyda Frierson]: US singer / actress (Love Letters)
- Donnie Dunagan: American former child actor and United States Marine Corps drill instructor. He was a voice actor in Walt Disney's 1942
- Pierre Richard: French actor and film director, considered to be one of the greatest and most talented of French comedians. He is widely known for his duets with Victor Lanoux in cabaret shows and with Gérard Depardieu (in 3 films directed by Francis Véber).He was inspired by Danny Kaye and French actor Pierre Richard-Willm.
- Peter Saul: San Francisco artists
- David Thomas: British professional golfer, winning the Championship Belgium title at the young age of 20. He served in the military for two years in Malaya, moving on to Assistant Pro at the golf club there. By 6/1955, he had won the local tournament and followed with the British Golf Pro and the Belgium Championship afterwards, a spectacular accomplishment for someone for young.
- US explorer William Beebe descends 3,028 feet (1922 m) in Bathysphere.
- US ends occupation of Haiti (been there since 1915).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?