Sunday 16 August 1964
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Nigel Redman and Jimmy Arias in Buffalo.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Everybody Loves Somebody by Dean Martin.
In UK Do Wah Diddy Diddy by Manfred Mann was in the top 5 hits.
A Hard Day's Night, directed by Richard Lester, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Match of the Day.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1964!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1964 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Nigel Redman: English rugby international player.
- Jimmy Arias in Buffalo: New York, USA; tennis player (US Davis Cup team).
- Jimmy Arias: American tennis player and sportscaster.
- Barry Venison: English footballer and journalist.
- Jack Pennick: Actor (Lady From Louisiana), dies at 68.
- Ruth Jessen wins LPGA Omaha Jaycee Golf Open Invitational
- Vietnam War: A coup d'etat replaces Duong Van Minh with General Nguyen Khanh as President of South Vietnam. A new constitution is established with aid from the U.S. Embassy.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 August 1964
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Dean Martin - Everybody Loves Somebody
- The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
- The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
- The 4 Seasons - Rag Doll
- The Drifters - Under The Boardwalk
- Dusty Springfield - Wishin' And Hopin'
- Jan & Dean - The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena)
- Bobby Freeman - C'mon And Swim
- The Jelly Beans - I Wanna Love Him So Bad
- The Animals - The House Of The Rising Sun
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?