Saturday 16 July 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
Friends with Benefits, directed by Will Gluck, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 July 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 July 2011 ?
- Botswana - President's Day (2nd day)
- Catholic - Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 July
- Arab Spring
- 2011 Egyptian revolution: Protesters heckle Tareq al-Mahdi of the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces as he attempted to address crowds in Tahrir Square. (AFP via Google News)
- 2011 Syrian uprising: At least one person is killed as Syrian security forces open fire on protesters in the eastern town of Albu Kamal. (CNN)
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Ten rebel fighters are killed and 172 injured during an attack on the eastern town of Brega. (Al Jazeera)
- Heavy fighting takes place in the western mountains. (Arab News)
- 2011 Yemeni uprising: A coalition of protest groups form a transitional presidential council to prepare the country for when President Ali Abdullah Saleh is toppled. (Al Jazeera)
- Two people are killed in a bombing near police headquarters in Bordj Menaïel, Algeria. (IOL)
- Thousands of people are expected to demonstrate in Dublin against European Union / International Monetary Fund budget cuts. (''The Irish Times'')
- Ohi Nuclear Power Plant in Japan is being shut down due a technical fault, Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. Only 18 out of 54 nuclear plants in Japan are currently producing electricity. (CNN)
- Nearly 5,000 people are evacuated after Mount Lokon in Indonesia erupts. (''Economic Times of India'')
- Seven people are killed and two injured after a customs boat sinks near the coast of North Sumatra Province in Indonesia. (AFP via NewsInfo)
- Quadriga is not to be awarded this year due to the backlash sustained by organisers for giving it to Prime Minister of Russia and former KGB spy chief Vladimir Putin. Among the upheaval Danish artist Olafur Eliasson gave back his award and Václav Havel was reported to be considering doing that too. (''The Washington Post'')
- The President of the United States is set to meet with the Dalai Lama in Washington DC despite a warning from the People's Republic of China. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez arrives back in Cuba for chemotherapy treatment. (UPI)
- News International phone hacking scandal:
- British Foreign Secretary William Hague defends Prime Minister David Cameron following revelations he has met senior News International executives on 26 occasions since becoming Prime Minister, and entertained Andy Coulson at Chequers following his resignation as Director of Communications. Hague says he is ampquotnot embarrassedampquot by the extent of Cameron's dealings with News International. (BBC)
- Several British newspapers run full page adverts with a signed apology from Rupert Murdoch for the ''News of the World'''s ampquotserious wrongdoingampquot (BBC)
- The funeral of Otto von Habsburg, final heir to the Austro-Hungarian Empire, occurs in Vienna, attended by monarchs and members of the political elite his corpse is to be buried in the Imperial Crypt. (BBC)
- Three more members of the North Korea women's national football team fail drug tests at the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup. (Yahoo sports)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?