Tuesday 16 August 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
The Help, directed by Tate Taylor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 August 2011 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 August
- 2011 Libyan civil war
- National Transitional Council forces in Libya began cutting off supply lines to Tripoli after a 48 hour operation capturing key towns around the capital and surrounding the city. (Reuters via Yahoo)
- The Israeli Air Force launches an air strike east of Gaza City, killing a Hamas gunman, in response to a rocket launched at Israel which landed in the Negev Desert. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- A United States drone attack in the Pakistani province of North Waziristan kills four militants. (AFP via ''Dawn'')
- BBC Magazines agrees a £12m deal to sell the ''Radio Times'' ndash together with ten other titles ndash to Exponent, owner of thetrainline.com. (BBC)
- Australian airline Qantas announces that it will be cutting 1000 jobs while steel maker OneSteel announces the loss of 400 jobs. (AAP via News Limited)
- The economy of Germany grows by only 0.1% in the second quarter of 2011, raising concerns about the European economy as a whole. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- Indian social activist Anna Hazare is arrested in New Delhi ahead of a proposed fast against corruption. (IBN Live)
- Detained illegal immigrants injure 15 policemen and 3 soldiers in a riot in Malta. (''Times of Malta'')
- ''News of the World'' phone hacking scandal:
- 2011 England riots:
- Chinese Vice-Premier Li Keqiang visits Hong Kong on a three-day official tour observers indicate that this solidifies his status as the next Premier of China. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- Former Brazilian football star Zico signs a contract to manage the Iraq national football team. (SAG)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?