Thursday 14 July 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
Captain America: The First Avenger, directed by Joe Johnston, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 July 2011!
Which were the important events of 14 July 2011 ?
- Sweden - Birthday of Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, an official flag day
- France and all French dependencies - Bastille Day
- Kiribati - Independence Day, 3rd day, not a holiday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 14 July
- 2011 Syrian uprising: Several deaths are reported as a security crackdown continues against anti-government protests in Syria. (Al Jazeera)
- A suicide bombing at a mosque in Kandahar, Afghanistan, kills four people and injures 11 including the head of the provincial religious council while they were praying for Ahmed Wali Karzai. (Reuters via ''The Guardian'')
- At least six Yemeni militants are killed following an air strike on a police station in the Abyan Governorate that the militants had overrun. (Al Jazeera)
- Kurdistan Workers Party fighters ambush the Turkish Army in Diyarbakir Province, resulting in the death of 13 soldiers and five militants. (Reuters)
- Mikhail Margelov, the President of Russia's special envoy on the Libyan uprising, claims that Muammar Gaddafi has a ampquotsuicidal planampquot to destroy Tripoli if the rebels seem likely to capture it. (Al Jazeera)
- The Israeli Air Force bombs the Gaza Strip after Hamas militants launch a missile attack on Israel. (Al Jazeeera)
- The poet Liao Yiwu tells the BBC of how he fled China via Vietnam and other countries and arrived in Germany after his struggles with Chinese authorities who have spent decades suppressing his work and imprisoning him. (BBC)
- Singapore's economy falls by 7.8% due to declines in manufacturing output and the services sector. (Market Watch)
- Chairman of Ireland's governing Fine Gael parliamentary party Charlie Flanagan calls for Papal Nuncio Guiseppe Leanza to be expelled from the country after the publication of a report into the sexual abuse of children by priests in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cloyne, while Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore attacks the Vatican's interference in the scandal. (RTÉ)
- Japan's foreign ministry plans to boycott Korean Air services for one month in response to a demonstration flight of a Korean Air Airbus A380 over the disputed Liancourt Rocks, beginning on Monday. (MarketWatch)
- The General Assembly of the United Nations votes to admit South Sudan as a member of the United Nations. (CNN)
- News of the World phone hacking scandal:
- U.S. district court judge Reggie Walton declares a mistrial in the perjury trial of former baseball star Roger Clemens after prosecutors present evidence that Walton had previously ruled inadmissible. Walton will hold a hearing on September 2 to determine whether to hold a new trial. (ESPN)
- At least thirty-two Chilean police and 54 demonstrators are arrested in a demonstration demanding more funds for higher education. (Antara News)
- The President of the United States, Barack Obama, gives Congressional leader 24 to 36 hours to reach an agreement on debt reduction as credit agency Standard Poor's places the US on a downgrade watch. (Marketwatch)
- The Democratic Governor of Minnesota Mark Dayton and Republican legislative leaders reach a budget deal which will end a shutdown of the US state government within days. (Reuters)
- Neptune completes its first orbit of the Sun since its discovery in 1846. (ABC Online)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?