Saturday 17 January 1948
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, directed by John Huston, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1948!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1948 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Davi? Oddsson: former Prime Minister of Iceland.
- Anne Queffelec: French pianist.
- Eddie Gray: .
- Anne Queffélec: French international pianist (noted family).
- Jim Ladd: American radio host and producer.
- Davíð Oddsson: Icelandic politician 21st Prime Minister of Iceland
- Michael Rake: English businessman and academic
- Trial of 11 US Communist party members begins in New York City
- Netherlands and Indonesia agree to a cease fire.
- A truce is declared between nationalist Indonesian and Dutch troops in Java.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1948 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Beg Your Pardon - Francis Craig & His Orchestra
- Beg Your Pardon - Larry Green & His Orchestra
- Bing Crosby - Ballerina
- Ballerina - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?