Saturday 18 December 2010
It was Saturday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
TRON: Legacy, directed by Joseph Kosinski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Decision Points by George W. Bush was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 December 2010!
Which were the important events of 18 December 2010 ?
- Roman festivals - Feast of Epona (during Saturnalia)
- R.C. Saints - Gatianus of Tours
- Also see December 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Niger - Republic Day (autonomous in 1958)
- Greek Orthodox Church ? Feast of Sebastian the Martyr
- Madeline DeMarcus: American child born to noted parents, her dad is Jay DeMarcus, a member of country band Rascal Flatts and her mom is Allison DeMarcus, a former Miss Tennessee.
- Governmental protests begin in Tunisia, beginning the 2010-2011 Middle East and North Africa protests
- Teams of militants assaulted the Afghan army in the north of the country and in the capital, killing at least 16 members of the security forces. (Xinhua)
- An Israeli air-strike in the Gaza Strip kills five Palestinian militants according to Palestinian sources Israel says they were attempting to fire missiles into Israel. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- The United States' unemployment rate rises in 21 states, the highest number to report an increase since August. It falls in 15 states. (''Washingtion Times'')
- Bank of America bans Wikileaks payments as a result of news of an upcoming release of information on banks in the United States that could leave an impact. (''New York Post'')
- At least 30 people drown after a boat capsizes in northeastern Bangladesh. (''Times of India'')
- A Chinese fishing boat capsizes during a scuffle with a South Korean coastguard ship, leaving one dead and two missing. (Channel News Asia)
- Roads, railways and airports across the United Kingdom are severely affected by further heavy snowfall. Severe weather warnings have been issued for many areas. (BBC)
- Ivory Coast crisis:
- Kenya calls on African nations to oust Ivory Coast incumbent President Laurent Gbagbo from office, by force if necessary, if he does not step down. (Al Jazeera)
- Incumbent President Laurent Gbagbo orders United Nations peackeepers to leave the country. (BBC)
- South Korean military officials say they will proceed with planned live-fire artillery drills from an island bombarded by North Korea last month, despite threats of retaliation. (BBC)
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrives for a working visit in Pakistan and meets with Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani. (''The Hindu'')
- A PRC fishing boat collided with a South Korea coastguard ship causing an incident near Eocheong island (''Yahoo'')
- Nigeria agrees to drop corruption charges against Dick Cheney and Halliburton in exchange for a $250 million settlement. (Business Week)
- Hundreds of people, including nationalists, are arrested in the Russian capital Moscow in an attempt to prevent an outbreak of ethnic violence. (RIA Novosti)
- Around 140 prisoners break out of jail in Nuevo Laredo, northern Mexico. (UPI)
- The United States Senate repeals ampquotDon't Ask Don't Tellampquot by a vote of 65-35. The bill will now be sent to President Barack Obama to be signed. (New York Times)
- An Italian court grants Amanda Knox a review of the forensic evidence used to convict her of the 2007 murder of British student Meredith Kercher. (BBC)
- The Venezuelan parliament temporarily grants more powers to President Hugo Chávez in the wake of recent flooding, allowing him to pass laws by decree without the support of the National Assembly. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 18 December 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?