Sunday 18 December 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 18 December 2011 ?
- Roman festivals - Feast of Epona (during Saturnalia)
- R.C. Saints - Gatianus of Tours
- Also see December 18 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Niger - Republic Day (autonomous in 1958)
- Greek Orthodox Church ? Feast of Sebastian the Martyr
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 December
- The Arab League threatens to take Syria to the United Nations within two weeks if the country does not accept its proposals to end the crackdown on the uprising. (Xinhua)
- Clashes continue in Cairo's Tahrir Square for a third day between the Egyptian Army and protesters. (Reuters)
- The last convoy of United States Army soldiers withdraws from Iraq, marking the formal end of the Iraq War. (Reuters)
- A bomb kills one person and clashes break out in Bangladesh between security and opposition protesters during the 40th anniversary of the country's independence. (Al Jazeera)
- Unrest in Zhanaozen, Kazakhstan, spreads as a train is burnt one person is shot dead and 11 injured. (BBC)
- Nine people die following an explosion in a coal mine in Binzhou City in China's Hunan Province. (Xinhua)
- The drilling rig ''Kolskaya'' with 76 people on board overturns in the Sea of Okhotsk off the coast of Sakhalin in the Russian Far East resulting in four deaths and fifty people missing. (VoA)
- The Philippines Red Cross estimates that the death toll from the floods caused by Tropical Storm Washi has risen to 521. (AP via Google News)
- Iran releases two Kuwaiti journalists accused of spying. (Al Arabiya)
- More than 50 Occupy Wall Street protesters are arrested as they attempted to establish a new encampment. (''The Guardian'')
- Villagers revolting in Wukan, southern China, threaten to march on government offices this week if detained protesters are not released. (''Bangkok Post'')
- Thousands protest in several Russian cities for a second week, against the results of the parliamentary elections. (RIA Novosti)
- Václav Havel, former President of Czechoslovakia and President of the Czech Republic, dies. (BBC)
- Spain's FC Barcelona win the final of the 2011 FIFA Club World Cup, beating Brazil's Santos 4-0 in Yokohama, Japan. Barcelona win the Cup for the second time in three years. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 18 December 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?