Thursday 21 January 1960
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Running Bear by Johnny Preston.
In UK What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For? by Emile Ford & The Checkmates was in the top 5 hits.
Our Man in Havana, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 January 1960!
Which were the important events of 21 January 1960 ?
- National Hugging Day
- Catholicism - Feast day of Saint Agnes.
- Mauritius - Thaipoosam Cavadee.
- UN Arms Day
- Toxey Haas: American businessman founded Haas Outdoors Inc.
- Jennifer Keyte: Australian journalist.
- Mamoru Nagano: Japanese animator and director.
- Rock falls traps 437 at Coalbrook South Africa, 417 die of methane poisoning
- Little Joe 1B, a Mercury spacecraft, lifts off from Wallops Island, Virginia with Miss Sam, a female rhesus monkey on board.
- Avianca Flight 671 crashes and burns upon landing at Montego Bay, Jamaica, killing 37. It is the worst air disaster in Jamaica's history and the first for Avianca.
- In France, President Charles de Gaulle fires Jacques Massu, the commander-in-chief of the French troops in Algeria.
- Jacques Piccard and Don Walsh descend into the Mariana Trench in the ''bathyscaphe Trieste'', reaching the depth of 10,911 meters (35,797 feet) and become the first human beings to reach the lowest spot on Earth.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Jimmy Clanton - Go, Jimmy, Go
- Andy Williams - The Village Of St. Bernadette
- Steve Lawrence - Pretty Blue Eyes
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 21 January 1960 and get them!