Wednesday 24 December 1958
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Chipmunk Song by The Chipmunks.
In UK It's Only Make Believe by Conway Twitty was in the top 5 hits.
Bell Book and Candle, directed by Richard Quine, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Around The World With Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1958!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1958 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Lyse Doucet: Canadian journalist.
- Munetaka Higuchi: Japanese drummer and producer (Loudness Sly and Lazy) (d. 2008).
- Paul Pressey: American basketball player and coach.
- Gene Sperling: American economist and government official.
- A BOAC Bristol Britannia (312 G-AOVD) crashes near Winkton, England during a test flight.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question
- The Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song
- The Teddy Bears - To Know Him, Is To Love Him
- Conway Twitty - It's Only Make Believe
- The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley
- The Everly Brothers - Problems
- Elvis Presley - One Night
- The Playmates - Beep Beep
- Ricky Nelson - Lonesome Town
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 24 December 1958 and get them!