Tuesday 25 March 1958
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include James McDaniel in Washington DC and Asa Torstensson.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Tequila by The Champs.
In UK Magic Moments by Perry Como was in the top 5 hits.
Teacher's Pet, directed by George Seaton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Stahlnetz.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 1958!
Which were the important events of 25 March 1958 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
- James McDaniel in Washington DC: USA; actor (Arthur Fancy - NYPD Blue).
- Asa Torstensson: Swedish politician.
- Susie Bright: American journalist author and critic.
- Sisy Chen: Taiwanese politician and television commentator.
- María Colón: Cuban javelin thrower and shot putter.
- John Ensign: American physician and politician
- James McDaniel: American actor and director
- Margaret Ritchie: Northern Irish politician (Northern Ireland Assembly)
- Ray Tanner: American baseball player and coach
- Åsa Torstensson: Swedish politician 3rd Swedish Minister for Infrastructure
- West German parliament desires German atomic weapons.
- Sugar Ray Robinson is first boxing champion to win five times.
- Canada's Avro Arrow makes its first flight.
- The United States Army launches Explorer 3.
- The 30th Academy Awards ceremony takes place ''The Bridge on the River Kwai'' wins seven awards, including Academy Award for Best Picture.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Champs - Tequila
- Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen
- The Chordettes - Lollipop
- Connie Francis - Who's Sorry Now
- The Four Preps - 26 Miles (Santa Catalina)
- The Crescendos - Oh Julie
- John Zacherle - Dinner With Drac Part 1
- Elvis Presley - Don't
- Billy Vaughn and His Orchestra - Sail Along Silvery Moon
- Perry Como - Catch A Falling Star
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?