Wednesday 25 March 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
Warlock, directed by Edward Dmytryk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 1959!
Which were the important events of 25 March 1959 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
- Billy Mayerl: English pianist and composer (d. 1959).
- Bill White traded to Saint Louis Cardinals for pitchers Sam Jones and Don Choate.
- French President Charles de Gaulle acknowledges Oder-Neisse boundary.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- David Seville - Alvin's Harmonica
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Thomas Wayne - Tragedy
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- The Bell Notes - I've Had It
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- Ricky Nelson - Never Be Anyone Else But You
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?