Sunday 26 August 1956
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
1984, directed by Michael Anderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 1956!
Which were the important events of 26 August 1956 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
- Sally Beamish: English viola player and composer.
- Brett Cullen: American actor and producer.
- Mark Mangino: American football player and coach.
- Maxwell Anderson: American "omnisexual," a hormone-taking but non-operative female-to-male "transman.
- Marcel Marcelloni: French rapist: posing as police officers, he and his gang committed several rapes in Marseilles.
- Alfred Wagenknecht: German-American activist and politician (d. 1956).
- KREY TV channel 10 in Montrose, CO (CBS / NBC) begins broadcasting
- Marlene Bauer wins LPGA Denver Golf Open
- Yankees announce purchase of outfielder Enos Slaughter from Kansas City
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 26 August 1956 and get them!