Wednesday 8 August 1956
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Bigger Than Life, directed by Nicholas Ray, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1956!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1956 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Chris Foreman: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Madness).
- David Grant: Jamaica -- Singer / songwriter (Stop & Go, Heaven Knows).
- Cecilia Roth: Argentinian actress.
- Mark Denton: American criminal charged with rape, robbery and aggravated assault in 1980.
- Wes Chandler: Florida, United States -- WLAF wide receiver coach (Rhein Fire).
- Branscombe Richmond: American actor
- WDIQ (now KMCT) TV channel 2 in Dozier, AL (PBS) begins
- Fire and explosion kill 263 miners at Marcinelle, Belgium.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?