Sunday 26 August 1979
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Time After Time, directed by Nicholas Meyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 26 August 1979 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
- Jamal Lewis: American football player.
- Cristian Mora: Ecuadorian footballer.
- Rubén Pazos: Spanish footballer.
- Allison Robertson: American guitarist (The Donnas).
- Yağmur Sarıgül: Turkish guitarist and songwriter (maNga).
- Mika Waltari: Finnish novelist, playwright and short story writer, the best-known author of his country.
- Beth Daniel wins LPGA Patty Berg Golf Classic
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Chic - Good Times
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 26 August 1979 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?