Wednesday 1 August 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Bad Girls by Donna Summer.
In UK Are 'Friends' Electric by Tubeway Army was in the top 5 hits.
More American Graffiti, directed by B.W.L. Norton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1979 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Junior Agogo: Ghanaian footballer.
- Brett Connors: American noted family, the son of tennis ace Jimmy Connors.
- Jason Momoa: American actor.
- Agogo: Ghanaian footballer.
- Nathan Fien: Australian-New Zealand rugby player.
- Maria de Lurdes Pintasilgo forms government in Portugal
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Chic - Good Times
- Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- John Stewart - Gold
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Makin' It - David Naughton
- Dr. Hook - When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
- Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
- I Want You To Want Me (Live) - Cheap Trick
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?