Wednesday 1 August 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Bad Girls by Donna Summer.
In UK Are 'Friends' Electric by Tubeway Army was in the top 5 hits.
More American Graffiti, directed by B.W.L. Norton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1979 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Junior Agogo: Ghanaian footballer.
- Brett Connors: American noted family, the son of tennis ace Jimmy Connors.
- Jason Momoa: American actor.
- Agogo: Ghanaian footballer.
- Nathan Fien: Australian-New Zealand rugby player.
- Maria de Lurdes Pintasilgo forms government in Portugal
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
- Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Makin' It - David Naughton
- John Stewart - Gold
- Dr. Hook - When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
- I Want You To Want Me (Live) - Cheap Trick
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 August 1979 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?