Monday 20 August 1979
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Life of Brian, directed by Terry Jones, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 20 August 1979 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
- Haha : South Korean entertainer.
- Tara Shaffer: Miss Ohio Teen USA (1996).
- Sarah Borwell: English tennis player.
- Jamie Cullum: English singer-songwriter and pianist.
- Cory Sullivan: American baseball player.
- Kimberly Stewart: American noted family, the daughter of rock star Rod Stewart and his wife Alana. By the age of 20, she was modeling but failing to shock her parents, even by nude pictures that appeared in British magazines in early 2000. She is launching a line of platform sneakers under the label Hot Legs. Kim and her mom are both 5' 9" and size 6 and share a stubborn streak as well. Kim was known as a dynamo from the time she could walk.
- Christian Dotremont: Belgian painter and writer (Born 1922).
- India Premier Charan Singh resigns
- Singer Vikki Carr and Michael Nilsson wed
- The East Coast Main Line rail route between England and Scotland is restored when the Penmanshiel Diversion opens.
- Grenada recognizes the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?