Sunday 26 December 1954
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ozzie Smith in Mobile and Walter Diessner.
In UK Let's Have Another Party by Winifred Atwell was in the top 5 hits.
Animal Farm, directed by Joy Batchelor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Love Is Eternal by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Bob Cummings Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1954!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1954 ?
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Kwanzaa
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Ozzie Smith in Mobile: Alabama, USA; infielder (Saint Louis Cardinals).
- Walter Diessner: in the German Democratic Republic; four man cox/twin of Ullrich (Olympics-silver-1976).
- Susan H: Butcher; dog sled driver (Iditarod).
- Ullrich Diessner: in the German Democratic Republic; four man cox/twin of Walter (Olympics-silver-1976).
- Peter Woods: rocker (Romeo Void - "Girl in Trouble").
- Susan Butcher: American dog sled racer, a four-time winner of the Iditarod Alaskan Dog Race, a grueling competitive event.
- Ozzie Smith: Baseball Player
- Peter Hillary: New Zealand mountaineer and philanthropist
- Tony Rosato: Italian-Canadian actor and screenwriter
- Steve Steen: English actor and screenwriter
- The Shadow, airs for last time on radio
- Cleveland Browns beat Detroit Lions 56-10 in NFL championship game.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 26 December 1954
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1954 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?