Saturday 26 December 1953
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Matthew Harding and Valeri Yuriyevich.
In UK Answer Me by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
David and Bathsheba, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Beyond This Place by A.J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Spike Jones Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1953!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1953 ?
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Kwanzaa
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Matthew Harding: Businessman / soccer supporter.
- Valeri Yuriyevich: Sharov; Russian cosmonaut.
- Leonel Fernandez: Dominican politician and current President of the Dominican Republic.
- Toomas Hendrik Ilves: President of Estonia.
- Toomas Ilves: Politician.
- Leonel Fernández: Dominican lawyer and politician 51st President of the Dominican Republic
- Makis Katsavakis: Greek footballer and manager
- Henning Schmitz: German musician (Kraftwerk)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?