Wednesday 1 June 1955
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Chiyonofuji and Tony Snow.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Unchained Melody by Les Baxter & His Orchestra.
In UK Stranger In Paradise by Tony Bennett was in the top 5 hits.
The Seven Year Itch, directed by Billy Wilder, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Love Is Eternal by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sam and Friends.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1955!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1955 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Chiyonofuji : Japanese grand champion sumo wrester, top ranking to the end of his career when he made an prestigious retirement.
- Tony Snow: American journalist and Press Secretary to President George W. Bush from May 8, 2006.
- Chiyonofuji Mitsugu: Japanese sumo wrestler, the 58th Yokozuna.
- Lorraine Moller: Boulder, Colorado -- NZ athelete (1996 Olympics).
- Habib Bourguiba ends exile from Tunisia
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1955 ?
Top #6 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?