Sunday 1 May 1927
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 1927). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Akira Yoshimura and Laura Betti.
No Man's Law, directed by Fred Jackman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1927
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1927
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1927 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Akira Yoshimura
- Laura Betti: Italian actress known particularly for her work with directors Federico Fellini, Pier Paolo Pasolini and Bernardo Bertolucci.
- Roland L Verhavert
- Billy Byers
- Harry [Harold George Jr] Belafonte in New York City: New York, USA; calypso singer ("The Banana Boat Song").
- Greta Andersen: Denmark -- 100m freestyle swimmer (1948 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Bernard Vukas: Yugoslav-Croatian footballer (d. 1983).
- Gary Bertini: Israeli conductor and composer (d. 2005).
- Lord Bathurst: English Earl / large landowner / multi-millionaire.
- Roland Verhavert: Flemish screen writer (Sea Gulls Die in the Harbor).
- William Mitchell Byers: Musician.
- 1st British airliner to serve cooked meals (Imperial Airways)
- Netherlands beats Belgium 3-2 in soccer match in Amsterdam
- Panningen soccer team forms in Panningen
- The first cooked meals on a scheduled flight are introduced on an Imperial Airways flight from London to Paris.
- The Union Labor Life Insurance Company is founded by the American Federation of Labor.