Monday 9 May 1927
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Manfred Eigen and Ray Katt.
Crazy to Act, directed by Earle Rodney, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1927
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1927
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1927 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Manfred Eigen: German biophysical chemist, director of the Max Planck Institute since 1964, known for studies of high speed reactions.
- Ray Katt: Baseball player.
- John McDermott: Lord Justice of Appeal (Northern Ireland).
- Canberra replaces Melbourne as the capital of Australia
- 53rd Preakness: Whitey Abel aboard Bostonian wins in 2:01.6.
- The Australian Parliament first convenes in Canberra.