Wednesday 1 May 1957
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 1957). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Julie Pietri and Dick Swett.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to All Shook Up by Elvis Presley.
In UK Cumberland Gap by Lonnie Donegan was in the top 5 hits.
Desk Set, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while As France Goes by David Schoenbrun was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Leave It to Beaver.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1957
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1957 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Julie Pietri
- Dick Swett: American politician (Representative-Democrat-New Hampshire).
- Steve Farris: rock guitarist (Mr Mister).
- Paul D Ronney in Los Angeles: California, USA; ScD/astronaut (STS 83 alternate).
- Duane G. Carey: Astronaut.
- Didier Bureau: French sommelier, who serves as vice president of the 'Association des sommeliers de paris ile de france.
- Uberto Pasolini: Italian banker director and producer.
- Kow Otani: Japanese composer.
- Grant Mitchell: Actor (Great Lie, Laura, Cairo, Conflict), dies at 82.
- Flevo Boys soccer team forms in Emmeloord
- US give Poland credit of $95 million
- Vanguard TV-1 booster test reaches 195 km.
- US gives Poland credit of US$95 million.
- 34 of 35 people aboard are killed when a Vickers Viking airliner crashed in Hampshire England.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?