Monday August 05, 1957
US date format: 8/5/1957, UK date format: 5/8/1957
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 5, 1957). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Pavel V Vinogradov and Andrei Yevgeniyevich Zaitsev.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Across the Bridge, directed by Ken Annakin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Profiles In Courage by John F. Kennedy was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Richard Diamond, Private Detective.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 05, 1957?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- See more
- American Bandstand, a show dedicated to the teenage ''baby-boomers'' by playing the songs and showing popular dances of the time, debuts on the ABC television network.
- Brooklyn Sports Authority gets an engineering report on 50,000-seat stadium in downtown area for estimated $207 million
- Comic strip Andy Capp made its debut
- WJZ-TV in Baltimore Maryland begins radio transmissions
- Heinrich Otto Wieland: German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (b.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 05, 1957?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- Nat King Cole - Send For Me
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
- Patti Page - Old Cape Cod
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next August 05If August 05, 1957 is your birthday you're 63 years, 3 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 11 months, 28 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free