Wednesday 21 August 1957
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Janice Thomas and Kim Sledge in Philadelphia.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
A Man Escaped, directed by Robert Bresson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Letter From Peking by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The New Adventures of Charlie Chan.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 August 1957!
Which were the important events of 21 August 1957 ?
- Ninoy Aquino Day - special holiday in the Philippines.
- Orthodox - Thaddaeus
- RC saints - Pope Pius X
- Roman festivals - Consualia, in honor of Consus, is held
- Janice Thomas: Women's Professional Basketball League guard (New York Stars).
- Kim Sledge in Philadelphia: Pennsylvania, USA; vocalist (Sister Sledge - "We are Family").
- Budgie : English drummer, whose style and approach have been described as "tom-tom-intensive," "very economical and offbeat" and "very sensitive.
- Tignous : French cartoonist, he worked for the satirical Magazine "Charlie Hebdo" and also for "L'Evènement du Jeudi", "Marianne" and "Fluide Glacial".
- Bernard Zénier: French football (soccer) player, a striker who played at senior level (1974-1991) and on the French national team (1977-1987).
- Frank Pastore: American baseball player and radio host (d. 2012)
- 1st launching in Baikonur, Kazachstan (R7 Semiorka-rocket)
- U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces a 2-year suspension of nuclear testing.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 21 August 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
- Don Rondo - White Silver Sands
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?