Tuesday August 20, 1957
US date format: 8/20/1957, UK date format: 20/8/1957
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 20, 1957). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Myung-se Lee and Mary Stavin.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
The Beasts of Marseilles, directed by Hugo Fregonese, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Durable Fire by Howard Swiggett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching O Corcunda de Notre Dame.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 20, 1957?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- See more
- Simply Heavenly opens at Playhouse Theater NYC for 62 performances
- White Sox Bob Keegan no-hits Senators 6-0
- Chicago White Sox' Bob Keegan no-hits Washington Senators 6-0.
- US Air Force balloon breaks an altitude record at 102,000 feet (310,896 metres).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 20, 1957?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
- Don Rondo - White Silver Sands
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next August 20If August 20, 1957 is your birthday you're 62 years, 11 months, 18 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 13 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free