Thursday August 29, 1957
US date format: 8/29/1957, UK date format: 29/8/1957
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on August 29, 1957). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Therese Hession and Pim Kops.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
The Three Faces of Eve, directed by Nunnally Johnson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The New Class by Milovan Djilas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching O Corcunda de Notre Dame.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 29, 1957?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- See more
- US Congress passes Civil Rights Act of 1957.
- Strom Thurmond (Senator-Democrat-South Carolina) ends 24 hour filibuster against civil rights.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 29, 1957?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next August 29If August 29, 1957 is your birthday you're 62 years, 11 months, 7 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 24 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free