Saturday 5 August 1989
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 5, 1989). The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Grégory Sertic and Jessica Nigri.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Batdance by Prince.
In UK Swing The Mood by Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers was in the top 5 hits.
The Abyss, directed by James Cameron, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Split Ends.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bloodwych or F-1 Pilot.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 5 August 1989
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1989!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1989 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Grégory Sertic
- Jessica Nigri: Model.
- Aaron Chewning: Vine Star.
- Jessica Mauboy: Musician.
- Mathieu Manset: French footballer.
- Ryan Bertrand: English footballer.
- Colt Tombs: American noted family, the son of Roderick George Tombs, better known as pro wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper.
- Ralph Meeker: American film, stage and television actor best known for starring in the 1953 Broadway production of Picnic, and in the 1955 film noir cult classic Kiss Me Deadly.
- General elections are held in Nicaragua with the Sandinista Front winning a majority.
- Jaime Paz Zamora is elected President of Bolivia, taking office the next day.
- U.S. Congressman Mickey Leland (D-TX) and 15 others die in a plane crash in Ethiopia.
- The presidents of five Central American countries agree that the U.S.-backed ''contras'' fighting the government of Nicaragua should be disbanded and evicted from their bases in Honduras by December 5.
- Federal Express purchases Flying Tiger Line for approximately 800 million U.S. dollars.
- Prime Minister of New Zealand David Lange resigns for health reasons and is replaced by Geoffrey Palmer.
- ''STS-28'': Space Shuttle ''Columbia'' takes off on a secret 5-day military mission.
- Toshiki Kaifu becomes Prime Minister of Japan.
- The asteroid 4769 Castalia is the first asteroid directly imaged by radar from Arecibo.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- On Our Own (From "Ghostbusters II") - Bobby Brown
- Batdance (From "Batman") - Prince
- Kool Moe Dee - They Want Money
- Stephanie Mills - Something In The Way (You Make Me Feel)
- The System - Midnight Special
- Surface - Shower Me With Your Love
- David Peaston - Two Wrongs (Don't Make It Right)
- Vesta - Congratulations
- LL Cool J - I'm That Type Of Guy
- Karyn White - Secret Rendezvous
Top #10 Latin songs
- Jose Luis Rodriguez - BAILA MI RUMBA
- La Incondicional - Luis Miguel
- Te Amo - Franco de Vita
- A donde vayas - Los Bukis
- Aunque mal paguen ellas - Roberto Carlos/Vicente Fernandez
- Ana Gabriel - Simplemente Amigos
- Emmanuel - Quisiera
- Este Ritmo Se Baila Asi - Chayanne
- Y Voy Hacer Feliz - Marisela
- Orgullosa nena - Pablo Ruiz
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?