Friday 18 August 1989
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 18, 1989). The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Nikki Bacolod .
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx.
In UK Swing The Mood by Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers was in the top 5 hits.
Romero, directed by John Duigan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Split Ends.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure or Chip's Challenge.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 18 August 1989
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 August 1989!
Which were the important events of 18 August 1989 ?
- RC saints - Saint Helena of Constantinople,Saint Alberto Hurtado
- Buhe in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
- Nikki Bacolod: Filipino singer and actress.
- Leading presidential hopeful Luis Carlos Galan is assassinated near Bogota in Colombia.
- Arturo Barrios of Mexico sets the 10 km record (27:08.23) in Berlin, Germany.
- Bucky Dent replaces Dallas Green as New York Yankees' manager.
- Polish president Wojciech Jaruzelski nominates Solidarity activist Tadeusz Mazowiecki to be Prime Minister, the first non-communist in power in 42 years.
- The Pan-European Picnic, a peace demonstration held on the Austrian-Hungarian border.
- August 19–21 ndash In response to the murder of a judge, a provincial police chief, and presidential candidate Galán, the authorities of Colombia arrest 11,000 suspected Colombian drug traffickers.
- In Beverly Hills, California, Lyle and Erik Menendez shoot their wealthy parents to death in the family's den.
- Fifty-one people die when the Marchioness pleasure boat collides with a barge on the River Thames adjacent to Southwark Bridge.
- Two million indigenous people of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, then still occupied by the Soviet Union, join hands to demand freedom and independence, forming an uninterrupted 600nbspkm human chain called the Baltic Way.
- Hungary removes border restrictions with Austria.
- All of Australia's 1,645 domestic airline pilots resign over an airline's move to sack and sue them over a dispute.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Stephanie Mills - Something In The Way (You Make Me Feel)
- Babyface - It's No Crime
- David Peaston - Two Wrongs (Don't Make It Right)
- Batdance (From "Batman") - Prince
- Vesta - Congratulations
- The Isley Brothers - Spend The Night (Ce Soir)
- It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be - Aretha Franklin/Whitney Houston
- My Fantasy (From "Do The Right Thing") - Teddy Riley Featuring Guy
- Eric Gable - Remember (The First Time)
- Jonathan Butler - Sarah, Sarah
Top #10 Latin songs
- Jose Luis Rodriguez - BAILA MI RUMBA
- La Incondicional - Luis Miguel
- A donde vayas - Los Bukis
- Te Amo - Franco de Vita
- Aunque mal paguen ellas - Roberto Carlos/Vicente Fernandez
- Ana Gabriel - Simplemente Amigos
- Gloria Estefan - Si voy a perderte
- Emmanuel - Quisiera
- Y Voy Hacer Feliz - Marisela
- Este Ritmo Se Baila Asi - Chayanne
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?