Friday 18 August 1989
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Nikki Bacolod .
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx.
In UK Swing The Mood by Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers was in the top 5 hits.
Little Monsters, directed by Richard Alan Greenberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while Polar Star by Martin Cruz Smith was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Interceptor.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Colorful Dragon or Future Wars.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 August 1989!
Which were the important events of 18 August 1989 ?
- RC saints - Saint Helena of Constantinople,Saint Alberto Hurtado
- Buhe in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
- Nikki Bacolod: Filipino singer and actress.
- Leading presidential hopeful Luis Carlos Galan is assassinated near Bogota in Colombia.
- Arturo Barrios of Mexico sets the 10 km record (27:08.23) in Berlin, Germany.
- Bucky Dent replaces Dallas Green as New York Yankees' manager.
- Polish president Wojciech Jaruzelski nominates Solidarity activist Tadeusz Mazowiecki to be Prime Minister, the first non-communist in power in 42 years.
- The Pan-European Picnic, a peace demonstration held on the Austrian-Hungarian border.
- August 19–21 ndash In response to the murder of a judge, a provincial police chief, and presidential candidate Galán, the authorities of Colombia arrest 11,000 suspected Colombian drug traffickers.
- In Beverly Hills, California, Lyle and Erik Menendez shoot their wealthy parents to death in the family's den.
- Fifty-one people die when the Marchioness pleasure boat collides with a barge on the River Thames adjacent to Southwark Bridge.
- Two million indigenous people of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, then still occupied by the Soviet Union, join hands to demand freedom and independence, forming an uninterrupted 600nbspkm human chain called the Baltic Way.
- Hungary removes border restrictions with Austria.
- All of Australia's 1,645 domestic airline pilots resign over an airline's move to sack and sue them over a dispute.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?