Thursday 8 May 1947
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 8, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Monique Rabaraona and Katia Tchenko.
Repeat Performance, directed by Alfred L. Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching In the Kelvinator Kitchen.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 May 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1947 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Monique Rabaraona
- Katia Tchenko
- John Reid Baron Reid of Cardowan
- Felicity Lott: English soprano (We come to the river).
- Jean-Marie Geveaux
- Robert Horvitz
- David Manners: 11th Duke of Rutland English politician.
- Gary Herbert: Politician.
- John Reid: Baron Reid of Cardowan Scottish historian and politician Secretary of State for Defence.
- Rick Zehringer: Ohio, United States -- Rocker (McCoys).
- H Robert Horvitz: American biologist, Nobel laureate.
- Phil Sawyer: rocker (Spencer Davis Group).
- Mario Lavezzi: Italian singer-songwriter, composer, record producer and guitarist.
- H Horvitz: American biologist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Harry Gordon Selfridge: American-born department store founder (Born 1858).
- A movement among Saint Louis Cardinals' players to protest its first meeting with Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers is aborted by a talk from owner Sam Breadon.