Thursday August 09, 1956
US date format: 8/9/1956, UK date format: 9/8/1956
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 9, 1956). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Sir Anthony Eden (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Adam Nimoy .
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
These Wilder Years, directed by Roy Rowland, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Mandarins by Simone de Beauvoir was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Man Against Crime.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 09, 1956?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- See more
- 1st state-wide, state-supported educational TV network, Alabama
- Alabama begins the first US state-wide, state-supported educational TV network.
- South African women demonstrate against pass laws.
- Adam Nimoy: American television director, the son of...
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 09, 1956?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Doris Day - Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera)
- Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Tony Martin - Walk Hand In Hand
- Teresa Brewer - Sweet Old-Fashioned Girl
- Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next August 09If August 09, 1956 is your birthday you're 64 years, 4 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 11 months, 27 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free