Monday 11 July 1966
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Butch Reid and Mel Appleby.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Hanky Panky by Tommy James and the Shondells.
In UK Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks was in the top 5 hits.
Torn Curtain, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Unsafe At Any Speed by Ralph Nader was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Dark Shadows.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cyborg 009.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1966!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1966 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Butch Reid: Horse trainer.
- Mel Appleby: rocker (Mel and Kim - "Coming to America").
- Cheb Mami: Algerian singer, popular for his duets with Sting and Zucchero.
- Nadeem Aslam: Pakistani-English author.
- Debbe Dunning: American actress.
- Greg Grunberg: American actor and producer
- Kentaro Miura: Japanese author and illustrator
- Mick Molloy: Australian actor producer and screenwriter
- Bo Sanchez: Filipino minister and author
- Rod Strickland: NBA guard (Portland Trail Blazers, Washington Wizards)
- Ricky Warwick: Northern Irish musician (The Almighty and Black Star Riders)
- Delmore Schwartz: United States -- Poet / short story writer / critic (Shenandoah).
- The 1966 FIFA World Cup begins in England.
- Indira Gandhi visits Moscow.
- Zambia threatens to leave the Commonwealth of Nations because of British peace overtures to Rhodesia.
- Israeli and Syrian jet fighters clash over the Jordan River.
- Richard Speck murders 8 student nurses in their Chicago dormitory. He is arrested on July 17.
- Gwynfor Evans becomes member of Parliament for Carmarthen, the first Plaid Cymru MP in the UK.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Hanky Panky
- The Troggs - Wild Thing
- The Cyrkle - Red Rubber Ball
- Dusty Springfield - You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
- The Beatles - Paperback Writer
- Frank Sinatra - Strangers In The Night
- The Association - Along Comes Mary
- Syndicate Of Sound - Little Girl
- Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs - Lil' Red Riding Hood
- Paul Revere and the Raiders - Hungry
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?