Wednesday 14 September 1938
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Walter Koenig in Chicago and Franco Califano.
Room Service, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
while Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1938!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1938 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Walter Koenig in Chicago: Illinois, USA; actor (Checkov - Star Trek).
- Franco Califano: Italian lyricist, composer, singer-songwriter, author and actor.
- Tiziano Terzani: Italian writer, a journalist and biographer.
- Nicol Williamson: Scotland, United Kingdom -- Actor (Excalibur, Robin & Marian, Spawn).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?