Thursday 14 September 1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 14, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Larry Speakes and Richard Kiel.
Honeymoon in Bali, directed by Edward H. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 14 September 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1939 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Richard Kiel: Actor.
- Larry Speakes: Public Servant.
- Bill Janklow: Politician.
- DeWitt T Weaver Jr: Danville, Kentucky -- PGA golfer (1972 Southern Open).
- Piet R Stoffelen: Dutch ambassador / MP (PvdA).
- DeWitt Weaver: Professional golfer.
- British fleet attacks German U-39 boat
- Minister Winston Churchill visits Scapa Flow