Sunday 16 January 1949
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Caroline Munro and Anne Beiler.
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while The Waters Of Siloe by Thomas Merton was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Your Show Time.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1949!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 16 January 1949 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Caroline Munro: English actress and singer.
- Anne Beiler: American businesswoman founded Auntie Anne's.
- R Foster: Irish historian and academic.
- Oliver Humperdink: American wrestling manager (d. 2011).
- Andrew Refshauge: Australian physician and politician 13th Deputy Premier of New South Wales.
- Rape of Lucretia closes at Ziegfeld Theater NYC after 23 performances
- KNBH (now KNBC) TV channel 4 in Los Angeles, CA (NBC) 1st broadcast
- WTOP (now WUSA) TV channel 9 in Washington, DC (CBS) 1st broadcast
- Şemsettin Günaltay forms the new government of Turkey. (18th government, last single party government of CHP)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1949 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Kay Starr - So Tired
- Red Roses For A Blue Lady - Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?