Thursday 6 January 1949, Epiphany
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Boit and Richard Horowitz.
Golden Boy, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while A Rage to Live by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Arthur Godfrey and His Friends.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 6 January 1949 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Michael Boit: Nandi, Kenya -- 800m runner (1972 Olympics - Bronze Medalist).
- Richard Horowitz: Composer.
- Thierry Ardisson: French television producer and host and movie producer.
- Stephen Bogart: American noted family, the first child of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.
- Steven Forrest: American pro astrologer; author of "The Inner Sky," "The Changing Sky," "The Night Speaks" and "The Book of Pluto.
- Joan Hess: American popular writer of mystery stories. Her Maddogy series is hilariously filled with loony characters.
- Mike Boit: Kenyan runner and academic
- Carolyn Wright: American poet and academic
- Victor Fleming: American director cinematographer and producer (d. 1949).
Celebrate 6 January 1949 with a precious gift
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?