Tuesday 25 January 1949
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Cooper Clarke and John Belushi.
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while American Freedom And Catholic Power by Paul Blanshard was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Admiral Broadway Revue.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 January 1949!
Which were the important events of 25 January 1949 ?
- St. Dwynwen's Day and Patron Saint of Lovers - Welsh celebration of love Dirwnod Santes Dwynwen.
- Tatiana Day, celebrated as the Day of Russian students since 1755, when the Moscow University was founded.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism - Conversion of Saint Paul.
- Christian ecumenism ? Week of Prayer for Christian Unity ends.
- Burns Night - Burns suppers are held in many parts of the world around this date. (Originated in Scotland)
- Winter-Een-Mas - celebration of videogames and the people that play them. Winter-een-mas lasts for a whole week, which is always the very last week in January, the 25th through the 31st.
- Roman Empire - second day of the Sementivae in honour of Ceres and Terra
- John Cooper Clarke: English punk-poet.
- John Belushi: American actor and comedian who had a fast-paced, six-year career as the talented comedy star of "Saturday Night Live" and such films as "Animal House.
- John Clarke: English poet and critic.
- Paul Nurse: English geneticist and biologist Nobel Prize laureate.
- 1st Emmy Awards: Shirley Dinsdale and Pantomime Quiz (KTLA) win
- At the Hollywood Athletic Club the first Emmy Awards are presented.
- In Los Angeles, California, the 1st Annual Emmy Awards are presented, hosted by Walter O'Keefe. Best Film Made for Television: The Necklace
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?