Friday 17 September 1909US date format: 9/17/1909, UK date format: 17/9/1909
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1909). The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ivan Devries and Elizabeth Wilkinson.
Far from the Madding Crowd, directed by Thomas Vinterberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1909
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1909!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1909 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Ivan Devries: French radio producer, 1935-1975.
- Elizabeth Wilkinson: Professor German University College London.
- Kenneth Darling: Commander-in-Chief Allied Forces, Northern Europe.
- Elizabeth Enright: American author and illustrator (d. 1968).