Thursday 17 September 1908
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1908). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Franz J A Grothe and John Creasey.
Not Guilty, directed by , was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1908
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1908!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1908 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Franz J A Grothe: German composer.
- John Creasey: English author and politician (d. 1973).
- Rafael Israelyan: Georgian-Armenian architect and educator designed the Sardarapat Memorial and St. Vartan Cathedral (d. 1973).
- The Wright Flyer flown by Orville Wright, with Lieutenant Thomas Selfridge as passenger, crashes killing Selfridge. He becomes the first airplane fatality.