Thursday September 17, 1908
US date format: 9/17/1908, UK date format: 17/9/1908
Is this your lucky day? Bet on the figures of this date here
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 17, 1908). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was H. H. Asquith (Liberal), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Franz J A Grothe and John Creasey.
Not Guilty, directed by , was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 17, 1908?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- See more
- The Wright Flyer flown by Orville Wright, with Lieutenant Thomas Selfridge as passenger, crashes killing Selfridge. He becomes the first airplane fatality.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 17, 1908?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Harry Macdonough & John Bieling - Over the Hills and Far Away