Sunday September 17, 1939
US date format: 9/17/1939, UK date format: 17/9/1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 17, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Neville Chamberlain (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include David Souter and Vladimir Menshov.
Dust Be My Destiny, directed by Lewis Seiler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 17, 1939?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- See more
- German U-29 sinks British aircraft carrier Courageous, 519 die
- Russia invades Eastern Poland, takes 217,000 Poles prisoner
- Soviet Union invades Poland during WWII
- World War II: The Soviet Union joins Nazi Germany's invasion of Poland during the Polish Defensive War of 1939.
- See more
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial