Sunday 17 September 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include David Souter and Vladimir Menshov.
Honeymoon in Bali, directed by Edward H. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1939 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- David Souter: American Supreme Court jurist who emphasizes judicial restraint, nominated by President George Bush.
- Vladimir Menshov
- Shelby Flint: American singer-songwriter and voice actress.
- Lamonte McLemore: St. Louis, Missouri -- Rock vocalist (5th Dimension).
- David Souter in Weir: New Hampshire, USA; Supreme Court Justice (1990-).
- Breyten Breytenbach: Writer.
- Carl Dennis: American poet and educator.
- Günther Fielmann: German optometrist and entrepreneur, chief executive officer of Fielmann AG.
- David H Souter: Weir, New Hampshire -- 107th Supreme Court Justice (1990- ).
- Joseph Mosikili: South African actor / singer.
- German U-29 sinks British aircraft carrier Courageous, 519 die
- Russia invades Eastern Poland, takes 217,000 Poles prisoner
- Soviet Union invades Poland during WWII
- World War II: The Soviet Union joins Nazi Germany's invasion of Poland during the Polish Defensive War of 1939.
- Taisto Maki becomes the first man to run the 10,000 metres in under 30 minutes, in a time of 29:52.6