Saturday 17 September 1927
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ted Weiss and George Blanda in Pennsylvania.
Sunrise, directed by F.W. Murnau, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1927
while Sorrell and Son by Warwick Deeping was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1927!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1927 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Ted Weiss: (Rep-D-New York, 1977-92).
- George Blanda in Pennsylvania: USA; NFL hall of famer (Chicago Bears, Houston Oilers, Oakland Raiders).
- Harold McInnes: American mechanical engineer and CEO of AMP, a computer connector manufacturer with 57% of it's sales in international markets.
- George Blanda: American football player (Born 1927).
- 47th US Mens Tennis: Rene Lacoste beats William T Tilden (119 63 119)
- Charles Lindbergh visits San Francisco
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?