Thursday 19 August 1926
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Tina Merlin and Alain Lyrot.
Beau Geste, directed by Herbert Brenon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
while The Private Life of Helen of Troy by John Erskine was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1926!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1926 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Tina Merlin: Italian writer, a journalist who wrote many articles about the Vajont Dam in which she exposed the danger and denounced the officials who took insufficient precautions.
- Alain Lyrot: French journalist, a reporter and correspondent for the New York Herald Tribune and spokesman for the French Ministry of Information, who later held various jobs related to publication.
- Annie Palmen: Dutch singer (d. 2000).
- Arthur Rock: American venture capitalist.
- Angus Scrimm: American actor and author (d. 2016).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1926 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- The Blue Room - Melody Sheiks (Sam Lanin & His Orchestra)
- Am I Wasting My Time on You? - Lewis James
- Bye Bye, Blackbird - Nick Lucas
- But I Do, You Know I Do - Ruth Etting
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?