Saturday 19 August 1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Samuel J de Beer and Jean-Francois Bizot.
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1944 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Samuel J de Beer: South African vicar / underminister of Education.
- Jean-Francois Bizot: French journalist and writer, and the founder and owner of the Paris-based radio station, Radio Nova, which first broadcast in 1981.
- Dominique Desseigne: French businessman, chairmain of the casin Lucien Barrière.
- Stew Johnson: American professional basketball player, known for his sweet shooting stroke.
- Frédéric Vitoux: French writer and journalist.
- Charles Wang: Chinese-American executive and CEO of Computer Associates International, one of the nation's largest software-only company. Wang is a college graduate from Queens Univ. with a BS degree in Mathematics. For time away from the office, he enjoys groiwng orchids and playing racquetball.
- Jack Canfield: American author and speaker
- Buzz Kilman: Chicago radio personality
- Bodil Malmsten: Swedish author and poet
- Eddy Raven: Lafayette, Louisiana -- Country singer (Right Hand Man)
- Allied air raid on Maastricht, 80+ killed
- Gen Bradley visits Montgomery
- Last Japanese troops driven out of India
- Paris police strike against Nazi occupiers
- Polish 1st Division occupies Hill 262 (Mont Ormel), Normandy
- US 15th Army corp occupies Mantes-Gassicourt at Paris
- US 90th / Polish 1st Division occupy Chambois Normandy
- World War II: Liberation of Paris : Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 19 August 1944
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?