Tuesday 17 August 1926
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jean Poiret and Jiang Zemin.
Battling Butler, directed by Buster Keaton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
while Sorrell and Son by Warwick Deeping was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1926!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1926 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Jean Poiret: French actor, director, and screenwriter.
- Jiang Zemin: Chinese politician, President of the People's Republic, 1998.
- George Melly: British entertainer, journalist, jazz-personality and author.
- Valerie Eliot: English businesswoman (d. 2012).
- Haakon Barfod: Norway -- Yachting (1948, 52 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Lewis Branscomb: American physicist, and editor of "The Revue of Modern Physics" from 1968-73.
- Margaret Eden: American worker whose car stalled on the railroad tracks as she was driving to work on 6/12/1950.
- Greek-Serbian / Croatian / Slavs peace treaty signed
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1926 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- The Blue Room - Melody Sheiks (Sam Lanin & His Orchestra)
- Am I Wasting My Time on You? - Lewis James
- Bye Bye, Blackbird - Nick Lucas
- But I Do, You Know I Do - Ruth Etting
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?