Friday 6 August 1926
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Christa Reinig and J[anet] O[pal] Jeppson [nee Janet Asimov].
The Scarlet Letter, directed by Victor Seastrom, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1926!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1926 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Christa Reinig: Writer.
- J[anet] O[pal] Jeppson [nee Janet Asimov]: Author (2nd Experiment).
- Norman Wexler: American writer, a playwright and screenwriter whose credits included the screenplays for "Mandigo" and "Saturday Night Fever.
- Elisabeth Beresford: British author and creator of The Wombles (Born 1926).
- Frank Finlay: Farnworth Lancashire, England -- Actor (Robbery, Lifeforce).
- Clem Labine: American baseball player and manager (d. 2007)
- Moritz : Landgrave of Hesse (d. 2013)
- János Rózsás: Hungarian author (d. 2012)
- Don Juan with John Barrymore shown
- Gertrude Ederle becomes the first woman to swim across the English Channel.
- In New York City, the Warner Brothers' Vitaphone system premieres with the movie Don Juan starring John Barrymore.
- Harry Houdini performs his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 August 1926
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1926 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Bye Bye, Blackbird - Gene Austin
- Cherie, I Love You - Ben Bernie & His Orchestra
- Poor Papa - Whispering Jack Smith
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?