Tuesday 19 August 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 19, 1947). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gerard Schwarz and Joël Hallais.
Dark Passage, directed by Delmer Daves, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching The Walter Compton News.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 19 August 1947
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1947!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1947 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Gerard Schwarz: American conductor, a former trumpet virtuoso of the first rank who resigned from the New York Philharmonic in 1975 to concentrate on conducting.
- Gerald McRaney in Collins: Mississippi, USA; actor (Simon and Simon, Major Dad).
- Joël Hallais: French race horse jockey, a harnessed trot racer, the brother of Jean-Claude.
- Henry Weingarten: American astrologer, head of a New York school and specialist in financial astrology.
- Dave Dutton: English actor and screenwriter.
- Terry Hoeppner: American football player and coach (d. 2007).
- Ernst Laqueur: Dut chemist / psychologist (sexual hormones), dies at 67.
- J Arens and D van Dorpen synthetise vitamin A